Which TEFL Teaching Certificate is right for you?
Which TEFL/Teaching Certificate is right for you?
1. I am interested in teaching abroad to get one or two years of experience abroad. After my completion of an ESL teaching position, I might re-sign for one more year. After, I will go home and continue my life at my home country.
Want to teach in Korea? You do not need any TEFL unless you are trying to get into the EPIK/GEPIK program.
Want to teach in China? Depending on your experience and the city you want, the highest level of certification you will need is the 120 Hour Online TEFL. For example, for Guangzhou, you need 2 years of teaching experience plus any TEFL certificate. For Shenzhen, you need either a 120 hour Online TEFL OR 2 years of documented teaching experience. For more info, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. I love teaching ESL and I love living abroad. I see myself traveling from one country to another. I do not want to take on any training or management responsibility. I just want to maximize my earnings potential while enjoying teaching at as many countries as possible.
We would recommend you getting the Cert TESOL/CELTA program. For many ESL jobs, you will be placed in a higher pay scale. In some countries like Oman, Saudi Arabia, and other middle eastern countries, many places will require a Cert TESOL/CELTA certificate before even considering giving you a job offer. To learn more about Cert TESOL/CELTA, please contact us at email@example.com
3. I really enjoyed my teaching experience abroad. I would like to settle down in one of my favorite countries and look forward to excelling in my ESL Career path. I really enjoy helping other people and developing other people in a teaching career is something I see myself doing.
A CertTESOL/CELTA certification will help getting promoted in large education companies. In order to be a teacher trainer, many places will require you to have a DipTESOL/DELTA certification. Although Cert TESOL/CELTA is not a prerequisite to get the Dip TESOL/DELTA, its highly recommended.
4. For the period of time I am in the ESL teaching career, I want to maximize my earnings potential. I want to save as much money as possible, then at some point, I will return to my country and continue my life there.
To maximize earnings potential, this can be done a few ways. The easiest way is to get a job in the Middle East. Generally, ESL jobs in the Middle East offers the highest pay. However, a Cert TESOL/CELTA is usually a requirement. Another way to maximize your earnings is by getting a public school job in China. The work hours is generally low, and you will have a lot of time to do private tutoring, which is usually a lucrative way to supplement your income.
5. Initially, I didn’t see teaching as a career path for me. However, after some research and experience in the ESL teaching industry, I see myself being a teacher for my career. Even if I do go home, teaching is what I want to do for the rest of my life.
Consider getting the proper teaching license to work at a public school in your home country. If you are an American Citizen, there are 9 month online programs to get you certified. Since the program is online based, you can complete this program while working as an ESL teacher abroad. If you are UK Citizen, you need to spend 1 year in UK and complete the program to get a PCGE.
Being a certified teacher opens a whole new world of international school jobs. Remember, don’t get confused with Private Schools and International Schools. International Schools are accredited schools that by law, only students with foreign passports can attend. International School jobs in China generally pay between 20,000-25,000 RMB per month plus provide you with furnished housing. In addition to this pay, you will get almost 3 months paid holiday along with other benefits, like health insurance and roundtrip flights.